From Researching Virtual Initiatives in Education
The National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) is an agency set up by the Government of India, with headquarters at New Delhi, to assist and advise the Central and State Governments on academic matters related to school education.
Its web site is at http://www.ncert.nic.in/index.htm
There is also a wikipedia entry from which the rest of this page is sourced.
The objective of NCERT is to assist and advise the Ministry of Education and Social Welfare in the implementation of its policies and major programmes in the field of education, particularly school education. The NCERT provides academic and technical support for improvement of school education through its various constituents, which are:
- National Institute of Education, New Delhi
- Central Institute of Education Technology, New Delhi
- Pandit Sunderlal Sharma Central Institute of Vocational Education, Bhopal
- Regional Institute of Education, Ajmer
- Regional Institute of Education, Bhopal
- Regional Institute of Education, Bhubaneswar
- Regional Institute of Education, Mysore
- North Eastern-Regional Institute of Education, Shillong
Functions of NCERT includes Research, Development, Training, Extension, Publication and Dissemination and Exchange Programmes. The NCERT also drafts, publishes and recommends school text books (from Class I to Class XII) of various subjects based on the recommendations of knowledgeable faculty in the subject for Central Board of Secondary Education.
Among the top priorities of NCERT' are:
- Implementation of National Curriculum Framework
- Universalisation of Elementary Education (UEE)
- Vocational education
- Education of groups with special needs
- Early childhood education
- Evaluation and examination reform information technology (IT) education
- Value education
- Educational technology
- Development of exemplary textbooks/workbooks/teacher's guide/supplementary reading materials
- Production of teaching-learning materials
- Education of the girl child
- Identification and nurturing of talent
- Guidance and counselling
- Improvement in teacher education
- International relations.
To accomplish its task, the NCERT follows the following self-imposed guidelines:
- To undertake, aid, promote and coordinate research in all branches of education.
- To organise pro-service and in-service training, mainly at an advanced level.
- To organise extension services for such institutions as are engaged in educational research, training of teachers or provision of extension services to schools.
- To develop and/or to disseminate improved educational techniques and practices in schools.
- To cooperate with, collaborate and assist the State Education Departments, universities and other educational institutions for the furtherance of its objects.
- To establish and conduct, in any part of the country, such institutions as may be necessary to realise its objectives.
- To act as a clearing-house for ideas and information on all matters relating to school education.
- To advise the State Governments and other educational organisations and institutions on matters relating to school education.
- To undertake the preparation and for the publication of such books, materials; periodicals and other literature as may be necessary for the furtherance of its objects.
- To acquire by gift, purchase, tease or otherwise any property, movable or immovable, which may be necessary or convenient for the purposes of the Council and to construct, alter and maintain any building or buildings for the purposes of the Council.
- To draw, make, accept, endorse, discount and negotiate the Government of India and other promissory notes, bills of exchange, cheques or other negotiable instruments.
- To invest the funds of the Council in such securities or in such manner as may from time to time be determined by the Executive Committee and from time to time, to sell or transfer such investments.
- To sell, transfer, lease or otherwise dispose of all or any property of the Council.
- To do all such things as the Council may consider necessary, incidental or conductive to its primary objects of promoting educational research, advance professional training of educational personnel, and the provision of extension services to educational institutions.